Monday, June 24, 2013

Curious and Curiouser

So Dad tells me again that his car stereo displays my name differently when he places a call to my cell phone. Cell to cell, my name is however he entered it into his contacts. But using the car stereo's speaker function and my name becomes one I created oh so long ago. Weird, right?

First of all, I haven't used Yasminalia Zoya Relas as a name in ages. Like probably before I even left Anaheim. Second of all, I hadn't recalled associating that name with my cell phone. And finally, to my knowledge, I removed it from any profiles and whatnot. So unless there's an account out there that I've completely forgotten about, it's just ghost data out there.

After some searching, I was able to find a couple matches. Yahoo/Bing gave me nada, but Google found a blog I placed a couple comments on using that name (no links to a profile used to make the comment though) and a Pipl search with no real contact info. Well, the first time it had no contact info. I did the whole name search via Google again and today the Pipl search listed two things. One led to my MSN profile, which after a moment's thought I do remember having used that name as the display name oh so long ago. The other was to link me to a Daniel Newkirk (who I THINK was the author of that blog I commented on), but his name doesn't come up with anything on Pipl.

Now that I know the name is linked to MSN, I can see why it might be attached to my cell number. But that still doesn't answer why Dad's car stereo displays that name. I mean that is still a mystery. MSN's profile system has changed and even before that I had changed the display name. So the stereo is seriously drawing from some ghost data somewhere. Which is weird. And why?? Cuz that's the weirdest thing.

UPDATE: Dad tells me when he got his phone and uploaded contacts, he uploaded contacts from all his accounts, including MSN. And since he added me oh so long ago, he'd have the Yasmina name. :-P I guess the stereo just has more room for displaying stuff, so it shows up on the screen when he's using the speaker. Mystery solved.

No comments: