Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Out the Window

I'm bummed to say the various plans I'd made last week did not happen.

One was a minor plan and so not a huge deal. It just sort of spoiled the little bit of fun I was going to have with Dad. Sunday before last, while at Dad's house, I had planned to hide his birthday card in his house. I can in no way afford to buy Dad a spiffy gift, and he tends to get his cool toys throughout the year himself even if I could. :-P So, I thought I'd be clever and hide his card and then send him a text or whispered call/voice mail message guiding him to it. So, after our usual breakfast and shopping fun and we're back at his house, I wander around while he's in the potty. Had to find a spot he wouldn't easily stumble on and was also simple enough for me to guide him to it. I mean it had to remain hidden until Thursday. Time was running out and I thought I'd found the perfect place. A stack of TV series box sets, stacked high on a shelving unit. I shoved it in between two seasons of the West Wing. I tried to hide it as best I could, but again with the time running out thing.

Alas. The edge of the envelope was sticking out. That combined with the fact that Dad made way more trips than usual past that stack led to him finding it like the next day! Grrr.... Punk. Le sigh. So much for a fun way to surprise him. Ah well. I was able to find a cute and funny pic to post on his wall on the day. Maybe next year, I'll get more creative or sneaky. :-P

The other plans were for this past weekend. Mom and I were interested in seeing the new Trek movie almost as soon as it came out. For whatever the reason, we still hadn't gotten around to it. After talking to Sarah and joking about being bad Trekkies for not having seen it yet, I told Mom we had to see it. So we watched the first one with intent to see it on Saturday. And as I had mentioned it to Dad before and he'd given me his usual vague answer as to whether he'd like to see it, I asked again to see if he'd want to join us. I said we should see it soon because the showtimes were fewer the longer it was out and new movies were pushing older ones out of the theatres.

Sooo.... The plan was we'd meet Dad at the same theatre on Saturday. Whether we ate afterwards or just went our separate ways didn't matter to me. I guess I should have known something was off when I went to bed "early" and Mom asked if I was going to bed like she didn't know why. I got up on my own (go me) and Mom was snoozing. I figured she was napping before we went to prevent last trip's sleepiness. :-P I got in and out of the shower and as I was getting ready I noticed she was still not moving. I woke her and she started to get ready. But since she wasn't fully awake and the lateness gave her a sense of urgency she was darting around fast. The motion while tired and anemic made her dizzy I guess. She was stumbling around, which happens when she goes through the laundry room with clothes on the floor like she did that day, so I didn't think too much of it. Not until I heard a loud thud. She'd completely lost balance and fell on the floor in her room. Safe to say plans were cancelled.I called Dad....or tried to....before it got too, too late. Alas, he was already en route and had to turn back.

Bleh. Mom tried to get him to come get me I guess. Mostly cuz she felt guilty for ruining the day's plans. All the talking to and fro between her and Dad and her and me.... plans were made for the next day. I mentioned that before she went to bed and she seemed okay. I mean she protested a smidge with not wanting to intrude on Father's Day of all days, but not much..... Until the next morning. >.< Still tired and probably grumpy as a result, she again protested not wanting to intrude. And then later admitting she just didn't feel like going anymore. Okay fine, I'll call Dad and just tell him we're back to normal Daddy Daughter Day plans. Oy. That made her feel guilty and she suggested we go alone. :-| Some days....

Needless to say. We won't be doing that again. Star Trek may have to wait til DVD now because I have no interest in trying organize that again nor does Dad. I'll probably not even mention it again til it's out of the theatres.

Irksome though the morning was, the rest of the day was filled with Daddy fun and antics. :-)

No comments: